[Snort-users] snort question

Patrick S. Harper patrick at ...4250...
Sat Feb 19 01:50:49 EST 2005

You can have an inline tap that will sit as a bump on the wire and monitor
anything that goes threw it, and fail open. These are great for monitoring
traffic going to and from the internet,  or you can set a span port on your
switch and monitor your vlan, this is a good way to monitor your internal.
They also have regen taps that plug into a span port and regenerate it into
more ports.  Hope that helps

Patrick S. Harper | CISSP RHCT MCSE
www.internetsecurityguru.com

www.ntsug.org - Snort Users Group

"If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, get down there and light the
dang thing yourself!"

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jason Warren
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:34 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] snort question

Mainly detection of break in attempts, bad logins, etc. We are a small
business so I do not really care about what is going out. (unfortunately
our sales guy already showed me the porn he looks up..... )

question on one of those taps i was apparently offered " a sweet deal "
on. does that allow me to monitor my LAN and my servers that are out
side the FW? i am not familiar with those devices.

thanks!

tony cowling wrote:
> Hi Jason.
> What are you trying to achieve?

Jason Warren
IT Manager/Customer Relations
Zotz Digital - Apple Pro Video/Audio Reseller
541.472.9522 - http://www.zotzdigital.com