[Snort-users] QUERY:Building snort statically

Senthil Prabu.S prabu333 at ...8908...
Tue Feb 15 20:20:37 EST 2005

Hi William,
          My replies are given below;

> First, let me tell you some more. I am currently compiling snort-2.1.1
> on an Linux i686. I will eventually be copying the snort binary to a
> Linux i386 machine running uClibc compiler (embedded Linux system).

I dont know much about the uClibc compiler. Anyway building snort
with gcc and moving to another machine should work.
This is not a problem at all.............

> Since snort requires  libpcre and  libpcap I will need to statically
> compile them into snort.
> I believe the other libraries snort uses are provided by uClibc.

Yes,only libpcre and libpcap static library will do. Other libraries
like linux-gate.so.1, libc.so.6 are system library. In every machine,
you could find such libraries. So you no  need to care about them,
instead you can use the shared version of these system libraries.

> I install libpcre and libpcap based on this.
> I ran the snort configure as follows with the host option:
> ./configure --prefix=/home/j0n/apdevel/cqureap/rootfs/usr/idsdev/snort
> --host=i386 --enable-wireless
> Then I did:
> Make

This should give you, snort build from static dependency libraries. And
you can ship this binary to any other m/c of linux, it should work.

> QUESTION: STATIC COMPILE:
> Do I just temporarily rename all the files in /usr/local/lib and re-run
> the above commands? Wont it not complain about finding those libraries?
> Must I also edit the configure file? Senthil sorry about this, I am just
> not sure what you meant in step [1] from previous mail.

I have been doing this for long time. And I could build it successfully.
Also, just now I tried similar build on a Redhat Linux server. It was
fine.

> QUESTION: CHOICE OF COMPILER:
> I wonder should I have installed libpcre, libpcap and snort on a
> different compiler. That is:
> Export PATH=/uClibc:$PATH
> Then ./configure, make, make install for both libpcre, libpcap
> And for snort:
> ./configure --prefix=/home/j0n/apdevel/cqureap/rootfs/usr/idsdev/snort
> --host=i386 --enable-wireless

Well, I am not sure about this. You better try with GCC, complete the
build, move the binary to the target m/c. It should work.

Hope this helps,if you are in trouble plz write to me.

--
Senthil Prabu.S

If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart enough to be an
Engineer, then you're in Business.