[Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

Joshua Berry jberry at ...11848...
Tue Feb 15 07:31:38 EST 2005

Flexresp and flexresp2 send resets, these work by just monitoring the
wire on the SPAN port you have setup.  This is probably what the ISS
boxes you had were doing.  Snort-inline can send resets but is really
meant to silently drop the packets in place.

You have iptables rules with a target of -j QUEUE, and run snort with
the
-Q option.  Snort is sent the traffic that iptables gets and if a rule
matches then it drops the packet (if the action is set to drop, reset if
the action is set to reset), if not it hands the packet back to iptables
to allow it and route it to the destination.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
lokesh.khanna at ...13040...
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:07 AM
To: Alex.Butcher at ...11254...; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

Hi

Thanks again.

If I understand correctly, snort-inline is capable of sending TCP RST to
drop the session. So it will only drop hacking attempts packets (depend
on signature). It will not drop genuine packet from same host. This is
how manhunt works.

Secondly I don't understand why people use Snort instead of
snort-inline.
What are advantages and disadvantages of using snort and snort-inline?

Cordially,
LK