[Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

lokesh.khanna at ...13040... lokesh.khanna at ...13040...
Tue Feb 15 07:05:50 EST 2005

Hi

Thanks again.

If I understand correctly, snort-inline is capable of sending TCP RST to
drop the session. So it will only drop hacking attempts packets (depend
on signature). It will not drop genuine packet from same host. This is
how manhunt works.

Secondly I don't understand why people use Snort instead of
snort-inline.
What are advantages and disadvantages of using snort and snort-inline?

Cordially,
LK

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS [mailto:Alex.Butcher at ...11254...]
Sent: 15 February 2005 14:39
To: Lokesh Khanna; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

--On 15 February 2005 10:47 +0100 lokesh.khanna at ...13040... wrote:

> Thanks again for reply.
> But it is confusing me more. As per my knowledge I can not set a rule
> using IPCHAIN which will drop a packets based on content in the
packet.

> What I am able to understand is if I use IDS in INLINE mode, IDS will
> act as a router and based on alerts, IDS will insert rules in IPTABLE.

See <http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node7.html>

Essentially, when running in inline mode, Snort can either cause the
*packet* matching a rule to be dropped (with or without logging), or it
can
reject the packet (using TCP RST or ICMP dest unreachable packets) so as
terminate the session.

Snort running in inline mode won't blacklist all traffic from
alert-generating hosts, unless you use flexresp or snortsam to tie it in

with a firewall (be that iptables/netfilter, Cisco, or FW-1)

> I can have a genuine traffic from an IP address and virus traffic from
> same IP address. So content of that packet will define if packet
should
> drop or it should not. How IPCHAIN will handle this?

To be honest, this perhaps isn't the best place to ask about snort
inline -
I haven't used it, so everything I've told you has come from reading the

snort manual, <http://snort-inline.sourceforge.net/index.html> and
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/snort-inline/>.

> Cordially,
>
> LK