[Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

Tue Feb 15 05:40:30 EST 2005

--On 15 February 2005 10:47 +0100 lokesh.khanna at ...13040... wrote:

> Thanks again for reply.
> But it is confusing me more. As per my knowledge I can not set a rule
> using IPCHAIN which will drop a packets based on content in the packet.
>
> What I am able to understand is if I use IDS in INLINE mode, IDS will
> act as a router and based on alerts, IDS will insert rules in IPTABLE.

See <http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node7.html>

Essentially, when running in inline mode, Snort can either cause the
*packet* matching a rule to be dropped (with or without logging), or it can
reject the packet (using TCP RST or ICMP dest unreachable packets) so as to
terminate the session.

Snort running in inline mode won't blacklist all traffic from
alert-generating hosts, unless you use flexresp or snortsam to tie it in
with a firewall (be that iptables/netfilter, Cisco, or FW-1)

> I can have a genuine traffic from an IP address and virus traffic from
> same IP address. So content of that packet will define if packet should
> drop or it should not. How IPCHAIN will handle this?

To be honest, this perhaps isn't the best place to ask about snort inline -
I haven't used it, so everything I've told you has come from reading the
snort manual, <http://snort-inline.sourceforge.net/index.html> and
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/snort-inline/>.

> Cordially,
>
> LK