[Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

lokesh.khanna at ...13040... lokesh.khanna at ...13040...
Tue Feb 15 01:46:16 EST 2005

Thanks again for reply.
But it is confusing me more. As per my knowledge I can not set a rule
using IPCHAIN which will drop a packets based on content in the packet.

What I am able to understand is if I use IDS in INLINE mode, IDS will
act as a router and based on alerts, IDS will insert rules in IPTABLE.
I can have a genuine traffic from an IP address and virus traffic from
same IP address. So content of that packet will define if packet should
drop or it should not. How IPCHAIN will handle this?

Cordially,

LK

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS [mailto:Alex.Butcher at ...11254...]
Sent: 15 February 2005 10:34
To: Lokesh Khanna; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] new user - snort is not droping pacekts

--On 15 February 2005 10:23 +0100 lokesh.khanna at ...13040... wrote:

> I remember in real secure or manhunt, I used to configure a port in
> mirroring mode on switch and I put IDS on that port. All our traffic
was
> going through that mirrored port. Based on rules defined in IDS, it
was
> dropping / logging packets.

Logging, yes, but those products would only have been dropping (i.e.
blocking, rejecting) packets if they were interacting with a firewall or

router in some way (or they were running in some kind of IPS mode, which

you seem to indicate was not the case).

> If I understand correctly, do I need to pass all traffic through IDS
> box.

If you're using inline mode, yes, the snort machine will be acting as a
router (actually an Intrusion _Prevention_ System or IPS). See
<http://snort-inline.sourceforge.net/> and README.INLINE for more info
on
inline mode. Note that 2.3.0 integrates the inline stuff IIRC.

> IDS will act as a router also. And based on alerts, IDS will make
> modification in IPCHAIN and will drop or allow packets.

See the above site for the details.

> Or is there any other way out? How can I find out documents on this?

<http://www.snortsam.net/> and README.FLEXRESP and README.FLEXRESP2 in
the
snort docs.

> Cordially,