[Snort-users] Re: Permission denied (snort Snort)

Nigel Houghton nigel at ...1935...
Fri Feb 11 05:43:33 EST 2005

On  0, snort Snort <snort_sam at ...131...> allegedly wrote:

> Thanks, I don't think I setup chflags on the system
> directorys including /usr/local/bin. Anyway I executed
> the chflags commands:
> # chflags -R nouchg /usr/local/bin
> # chflags -R noschg /usr/local/bin
> # chmod go+rwx /usr/local/bin
>
> But make install in snort still give the same error
> (Permission denied on /usr/local/bin).
>
> Thanks
> Sam

Check the permissions on the directory, if the write bit is not set even
root (which you said you were doing this as) cannot write to the
directory.

What you did already was to give group and others write and read
permission. Make sure the directory is at least mode 0755.

 chmod -R 0755 /usr/local/bin

Since you are not mentioning any other errors with these commmands, I
am assuming the directory actually exists and the partition is mounted.
(not sure why it wouldn't be but you never know)

                   Vulnerability Research Team

   Stewie: This is treason.. for God sakes Peter make an example of
   her.. nothing says 'obey me' like a bloody head on a fence post.