[Snort-users] starting barnyard on system start

Alexander Zenger azen at ...12256...
Fri Feb 11 02:32:58 EST 2005

Hello,
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:41:18AM +0100, Lieker Heinrich wrote:

> Hello folks!
>
> Can anyone of you tell me, how I can start barnyard at system start of my
> linux? I think I need a script that I can link under /etc/init.d with the
> runlevels as S* and K*, but I can't write that. Does anyone have a script or
> something like that?

you can simply put an empty shellscript under /etc/init.d only with the beginning line
"#!/bin/bash" and then write there your commands in

Then you put symlinks in your /etc/rcX.d/ Directory, like "ln -s /etc/init.d/local.sh /etc/rc2.d/S99local.sh".
Sure you can't kill barnyard using "/etc/init.d/local.sh stop" because it isn't an real start script.
But you can put things like barnyard in it which only needs to start once at startup.

greetz

Alex