[Snort-users] Snort rules

sEc nErD umkcguy1978 at ...131...
Tue Feb 8 12:18:54 EST 2005

I ahve a question for security admins here.

Our client performed an internal port scan using super scan on their internal network.When i say internal network i mean private network LAN.

Our snort sensor didnt catch any of it the whole port scan and aftre doing some diggging i saw the scan.rules file and saw that it is checking all inbound

port scans like $external any-->$Home Network

Now the client is questioning us as to why this should not be checked both ways..he is saying if it is somebody in their network doing a port scan it will go unnoticed.

can anybody answer this?

thanks