[Snort-users] Performance: Streaming Media

Jose Maria Lopez jkerouac at ...12346...
Fri Feb 4 12:58:17 EST 2005

El vie, 04 de 02 de 2005 a las 23:05, Rudi Starcevic escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Linux machine which does mostly www service and port forwarding
> for mms service ( Window Media Server )
>
> If I install snort on the the Linux machine do you think the filtering
> of packets will affect the forwarding for streaming media ?
>
> This machine uses about 90MB/sec 24 hours a day and is on a 100MB/sec
> plan, many gigs per hour are streamed and downloaded.
>
> I really want an IDS on this box but not if it will have a too great
> effect on streaming media performance.
>
> Thanks
> Kind regards
> Rudi

The answer to your question depends on the rules you have,
the preprocessors you use and much more things. Best you
can do it's try it and do your own measures. That's the
only way to see if it affects your traffic or not.

Regards.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC