[Snort-users] Snort 2.3

Harper, Patrick Patrick.Harper at ...11593...
Thu Feb 3 10:10:04 EST 2005

I just have a problem running a system that no one is doing patches for.  A lot of new distros can be trimmed down just as well as 7.X could be. You can patch manually but I personally do not have that kind of time.

-----Original Message-----
From: SN ORT [mailto:snort_on_acid at ...131...]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 11:07 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Harper, Patrick
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort 2.3

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running Snort on Redhat 7.x, Many have been doing it for years. What would be the point to have to constantly update it if only you can get to it and it only runs Snort? I also run it on FreeBSD, and why would I want to keep that updated? SO what if it's no longer available or not supported?  The OS is running, solidly, bugfree, tried tested and proven! What more is there? And a lot of people have smaller machines to run this stuff on. I'm a little discouraged at the newer fat distros anymore and the giant resources required to even load them up.

The bottom line is, on an IDS/IPS system, a low-profile OS is the best match. Newer distros are a waste of resources.

Cheese!
Marc

http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=3Dsnort-users

href="http://it.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com"><b>Nuovo
> Yahoo! Messenger</b></a> E' molto più divertente:
> Audibles, Avatar, Webcam, Giochi, Rubrica... Scaricalo
> ora!
> --0-489904743-1107443685=:50488--

=== message truncated ===