[Snort-users] Logging retransmitted pkts.

Joe Patterson jpatterson at ...12705...
Wed Feb 2 12:50:09 EST 2005

Actually, ethereal does this.  Looking at the thread, running ethereal with
a read filter of "tcp.analysis.retransmission" should get exactly what the
initial poster wants.  Actually, running with the read filter
"tcp.analysis.flags" is quite illuminating.  Ethereal does keep a fairly
large amount of state information (which can be its downfall, as state tends
to accumulate, and memory expands, and eventually, malloc fails).  But, I
would have to say, in addition to generally aggreeing with you that snort
isn't the right tool for this job, the ability to do this in Ethereal is
even more reason not to hack up snort to try and do it.  :)

-Joe