[Snort-users] snort configuration in layer 2

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue Feb 1 09:22:47 EST 2005

At 09:28 AM 2/1/2005, Peggy Kam wrote:
>Other than running snort in promiscous mode, what else needs be
>configured to run snort in passive mode on layer 2?  I did not seem to
>find any information anywhere for the configuration on this matter.

Define what you mean by "passive mode on layer 2".. Heck.. define what you
mean by "passive mode". If by passive you mean not sending packets, well,
that's the default. It only becomes active in this sense if you use flexresp.

Snort in general picks all ethernet frames at a layer 2 level from libpcap,
parses past the layer 2 ethernet headers (including VLAN trunk headers) and
analyzes them at layer 3 and up.

Once you've got the interface in promisc mode, snort should analyze
everything that appears on the interfaces ethernet wire, and generate
logged messages, nothing more.