[Snort-users] Problem: Win32 v2.4.3 does not start as a Service

Lee Clemens snort at ...13080...
Tue Dec 27 20:39:00 EST 2005

Perhaps someone else knows more about this, but it looks like NetMon may be
related to QoS. Since you said you don't know what they are, I assume you
haven't installed NetMon, but it may be related to a network adapter driver
you have installed, or if QoS is dis/e/nabled on the interface you are
listening to with Snort.

There is a file, NetMonInstaller.exe, in the WinPcap directory...did you
execute this? (I'm not saying you should.)

Can you try typing "netcap /?" or "netmon /?" at a DOS prompt?

Perhaps playing around with the adapter's settings for QoS, File and Print
Sharing, and Client for Microsoft Networks could help?

Disclaimer: Pretty much shots in the dark, but shouldn't hurt.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Rich Adamson
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 8:34 PM
To: Michael Steele; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Problem: Win32 v2.4.3 does not start as a Service

> The -i switch is what's killing the Snort service. I'm guessing the
> reason why it's happening to some and not others is that some are
> specifying the -i switch and others are not.

The -i switch has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. Just proved
that by running with/without it in both winpcap v3.0 and v3.1. Exact same
issue; snort will not start after a reboot with v3.1.

> I know in most cases (especially home and small business users) that
> the -i can be omitted, but this usually means Snort will automatically
> use the first interface in line, and I believe that is where the problem
occurs.

Well, I don't think that's true either. Manual start of snort with the
'config interface:' did in fact select the proper interface (of four entries
from snort -W). But, I can't rearrange the interface numbering to prove
that.

> If you are running snort as a service, logging to a database and
> WinPcap 3.1 uses the first interface in line, then WinPcap 3.1 may
> work, but I don't think so. We are past that point to check it out on our
clean install.

The use of a database (or not) has nothing to do with the issue.

> Tomorrow we will do another clean install and verify if it works, or
> someone else could check.
>
> I'm sure there is a hack to the registry that can be done to fix the
> problem, but its windows :)

There is and it was posted several hours ago (which is actually included
below from previous email postings).

> I guess they need to figure out if it's a Snort problem or a WinPcap
> problem and fix it. I'm fairly sure it's WinPcap.

Based on the url provided and the summary contained in that posting, looks
like the issue is a dependency involving winpcap v3.1 and Microsoft NetMon
COM component. Since winpcap v3.0 does not exhibit the same problem, there
is obviously something different about v3.1. Not sure as yet whether the
NetMon component is an XP-only item, or what its associated with.

Rich

3.1.