[Snort-users] Problem: Win32 v2.4.3 does not start as a Service

Lee Clemens snort at ...13080...
Mon Dec 26 14:12:07 EST 2005

Restart the service won't make it start when there's an error....but can you
confirm that it does not add an error in your event log when it should be
trying to restart? (double check the time interval you set too).

I had a problem running 2.4.3 as a service, but it was an issue with the
logging directory not being created, some permissions error would show up in
the logs though.

When you installed it as a service, can you tell us which switches or
options you used to install? Are you running it as a local user?

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Rich Adamson
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 12:18 PM
To: 'Snort Developers Postings'; 'Snort Users Postings'; Jeff Dell
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Problem: Win32 v2.4.3 does not start as a Service

No databases or any other external app is used. Alerting to syslog in
relatively low traffic environments. As mentioned, all snort functions have
been and continue to function just fine; purely a services startup issue
with no dependencies as best as I can tell.

Might also add that "Restart the Service" in the Recovery tab of the snort
services properties has been set, and that never kicks off. So, presumably
it also is related to the fact the service never started, therefore it can't
be restarted.