[Snort-users] Running SNORT in low end device

Gulfie gulfie at ...13618...
Mon Dec 19 06:39:01 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:29:40PM +0000, aravind babu wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>        I am planning to run Snort/Snort-Inline on the
> following Hardware configuration.
>

>        Processor  : 177MHz
>        RAM        :  64MB
>        NAND FLASH : 128MB  (Where Snort code will
> exist.Also signatures)

	Okay.

	What processor?  Is it a i386 based procesosr, or some wierd arm embedded thing, or the
MIPS thing you were working on in Dec 2003?

> Is it worth to do this?I am planning to build a
> appliance which will have functionalities of
> Firewall,VPN,and IDS/IPS.

	But the question is why? and where are you going to put it?

	It could be a wonderfull solution, or a very bad solution depending on the problems that are
being addressed.

> Please tell me your views on this.

	Snort without rules, is about 8 Megabytes in core (on the machine sitting before me), with the default
ruleset it's up to 40 Megabytes, and with the VRT_PR rules, community rules and Bleeding edge snort rules, you're
up to maybe 60 Megabytes.

	So you'r going to have to config the ruleset way way down, same thing for the preprocessors.

	Other interesting questions.  Where are the alerts going to go?  Back down the vpn connection?

	You'll be able to do it, just make sure that your expectations are set correctly.  177MHz is _reallly_ slow, and 64 MB is _really_ small.   If you are looking to IDS/IPS over a modem vpn connection, it'll probibly be fast enough.  If you are looking to IDS/IPS over a 10/100 ethernet port(s)... The answer is probibly not as much.

	That being said.  It could be a nifty little device, to send along with peoples laptops
as a network condom.

						-gulfie