[Snort-users] bpf filter versus "config ignore_ports"

Dirk Geschke dirk at ...10648...
Tue Dec 6 03:17:04 EST 2005

Hi Elof,

> Which is better for performance, filter out unwanted traffic using a
> bpf filter or using the configuration statement "ignore_ports"?
>
> I'm guessing that bpf is better. So when should one use "ignore_ports"?

the fastest version would be the bpf. But bpf rules can get very
complex with the number of filtered entries.

So the ignore_ports are a little bit more user friendly.

And since one of the first things snort does is to decode the
ports it will not be much slower than bpf at all. If you really
finds here a difference than you will have a problem at all...

Best regards

Dirk