[Snort-users] how to further diagnose 'ICMP Destination Unreachable' problem?

Briggs, Bruce Bruce.Briggs at ...13183...
Tue Aug 30 06:40:08 EDT 2005

You can find out a little more about ICMP Destination Unreachable here:
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/icmp/msg3.htm

It could be caused by a number of things. For example there could be a
firewall (or router with ACLs) which is preventing a packet from being
received/forwarded and if the firewall had an option enabled to notify
the sender of this blocked port packet, then an ICMP type 3 code 3
packet would be sent out to the initiating IP addr from the firewall.

Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Chris W.
Parker
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 1:12 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] how to further diagnose 'ICMP Destination
Unreachable' problem?

Hello,

I have a lot of 'ICMP Destination Unreachable Port Unreachable' alerts
(36%) and I'm wondering what I should do to diagnose and correct the
problem.

I don't know much about networking so I wasn't able to glean much
insight from the Snort website
(http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=402).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris.

September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing &
QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement *
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf