[Snort-users] juniper IPS

Bob Konigsberg bobkberg at ...12746...
Fri Aug 19 13:34:18 EDT 2005

I use snort, and I'm currently learning the Juniper Netscreen product.

My own impression is that there's nothing resembling snort in the product,
but I also called up our tech reps from Juniper, and they confirmed that
there is no common base there.

Hope that helps,

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Chris Lyon
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 11:23 AM
To: Matt Kettler
Cc: Min Qiu; Snort Users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] juniper IPS

On 8/19/05, Matt Kettler <mkettler at ...4108...> wrote:
> Min Qiu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone here have experience with Juniper IPS?  Is the product use
> > snort underneath?
>
> I highly doubt that Juniper would be so foolish.
>
> (They're going to want to make closed-source customizations to their
> product, including detection engine customization, and doing so using
> snort as a codebase would be legally troublesome due to licensing.)
>
> I suspect that the juniper is either home-grown, or purchased from someone
else.
> In this case, it's almost certainly based on the Netscreen IPS, since
> juniper bought netscreen.

Acutally,
Netscreen bought OneSecure before Juniper bought Netscreen. OneSecure was
the original maker of the IPS solution and is a decent solution to date. It
is either IPS inline or IDS out.  As for any opensource code, google
@onesecure.com. The trail is somewhat interesting with posts to the snort
users list from people at onesecure. Interesting!

> The netscreen IPS uses a mixture of software and a custom hardware
> ASIC to do it's operations, so it's little like snort.

The IPS systems are not ASIC based like their firewalls. If you take a
closer look at the systems, they look allot like Dell PowerEdges!

One of netscreen's goals was to move an IPS lite into the firewalls, which
they did. Hence the move towards central processing even in their appliance
firewalls.