[Snort-users] Tapping into the ring buffer

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ...10275...
Fri Aug 19 12:19:22 EDT 2005

Hi Sekure,

Will something like this work for you:

PCAP_FRAMES=32000 /usr/sbin/tcpdump -i eth0 -C 500 -w pcap.dmp
and then

snort -r pcap.dmp -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
you'd need a loop for the snort bit but that should be pretty
straightforward.

I believe that the apps are independent of each other, which is why you
can run a host based firewall and still have snort grab all of the
packets (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, you set the interface into promisc mode. The first application
that does so allows any other application to not need to set promisc
(again please correct me if I'm wrong).

HTH,
Harry