[Snort-users] juniper IPS

Chris Lyon cslyon at ...11827...
Fri Aug 19 11:23:31 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Matt Kettler <mkettler at ...4108...> wrote:
> Min Qiu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone here have experience with Juniper IPS?  Is the product
> > use snort underneath?
>
> I highly doubt that Juniper would be so foolish.
>
> (They're going to want to make closed-source customizations to their product,
> including detection engine customization, and doing so using snort as a codebase
> would be legally troublesome due to licensing.)
>
> I suspect that the juniper is either home-grown, or purchased from someone else.
> In this case, it's almost certainly based on the Netscreen IPS, since juniper
> bought netscreen.

Acutally,
Netscreen bought OneSecure before Juniper bought Netscreen. OneSecure
was the original maker of the IPS solution and is a decent solution to
date. It is either IPS inline or IDS out.  As for any opensource code,
google @onesecure.com. The trail is somewhat interesting with posts to
the snort users list from people at onesecure. Interesting!

> The netscreen IPS uses a mixture of software and a custom hardware ASIC to do
> it's operations, so it's little like snort.

The IPS systems are not ASIC based like their firewalls. If you take a
closer look at the systems, they look allot like Dell PowerEdges!

One of netscreen's goals was to move an IPS lite into the firewalls,
which they did. Hence the move towards central processing even in
their appliance firewalls.