[Snort-users] Bleeding Rules not detecting

Eric Maheo eric.maheo at ...8860...
Fri Aug 19 07:16:49 EDT 2005

> To all:
>
> Until recently the bleeding edge rules worked great, little noisy, but great none the less.  Then, after doing an update about 1 month ago, the alerts stopped showing up.  Due to time constraints I have not been able to troubleshoot this recently.

Does your snort log is complaining about something?
Bleeding rules work fine. So I would look for elsewhere the source of
the problem.

> Snort Version 2.4
> My snort config:
>
> var HOME_NET x.x.0.0/22
> var EXTERNAL_NET ANY
> .
> .
> .
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-malware.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-virus.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-policy.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-p2p.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-exploit.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-web.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-attack_response.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-dos.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-scan.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-inappropriate.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-custom.rules
> include $RULE_PATH/bleeding-game.rules
>
> Any ideas as to how to get these to work again?  Or good ways to test them?  My snort-rules emails used to send up false positives, which I am not getting anymore.
>
> TIA
>
> Brian Blake
> Security Technician
> American Background Information Services, Inc.

Eric Maheo
Vice President of Engineering,

Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1134 N. Main St.