[Snort-users] Var Home_Net and NIC talk prob

Banshee banshee6670 at ...1877...
Wed Aug 17 08:48:48 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I am trying to install snort following a guide that is on winsnort:(http://www.winsnort.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=5).

I have  installed apache,installed and configured php, tested apache and php and installed winpcap and snort ok.Now I am stuck.

I need enter my ip in var home_net but I dont know what to enter there as I have dynamic ip.

Quote:

----
To monitor a single host, with an IP of 192.168.171.129
Change: var HOME_NET 192.168.171.129/32

Note: You could also use:
Change: var HOME_NET 192.168.171.129

To monitor a class C Network with an IP of 192.168.171.x, and a subnet of 255.255.255.x
Change: var HOME_NET 192.168.171.129/24

To monitor a class B network with an IP of 192.168.x.x, and a subnet of 255.255.x.x
Change: var HOME_NET 192.168.171.129/16

To monitor a class A Network with an IP of 192.x.x.x, and a subnet of 255.x.x.x
Change: var HOME_NET 192.168.171.129/8

---------------end of quote-----------

What are those 32,24,16,8 at the end of the ips ? and what is a subnet. How do I know which ones to add to my  dynamic ips ? I have no clue....

Quote:

Testing the Snort installation

[clip]
At the command prompt '>' type: snort -W

[clip]
Connect the sensor to the network using the preferred Network Interface Card (NIC) and make sure that the web can be browsed.
-----------end of quote

How would I do that ? I dont even know what/where my NIC is.

Any help appreciated.

Luca S.