[Snort-users] MYSQL 4.0 root login attempt

David Naylor DNaylor at ...13086...
Tue Aug 16 14:26:36 EDT 2005

It's running on Red Hat Linux (which I'm not real familiar with).  What is this HUPing stuff all about?

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Schmehl [mailto:pauls at ...6838...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 1:14 PM
To: David Naylor; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] MYSQL 4.0 root login attempt

--On Tuesday, August 16, 2005 10:29:06 -0500 David Naylor
<DNaylor at ...13086...> wrote:

> I get this message every morning with source/destination of my Snort box
> and database server respectively.  Why is Snort trying to log back into
> the SQL server every morning?

Hard to say without knowing a little more - like what OS are you using.

If it's unix, it *could* be syslogd HUPing the process when the logfile is
turned over.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas