[Snort-users] Software from SourceFire is free?

Jason Brvenik jasonb at ...1935...
Fri Aug 12 11:49:01 EDT 2005

Sourcefire is the company that develops, maintains, and releases Snort.
We accept patches against Snort and coordinate the integration of those
patches where appropriate.

Sourcefire Intrusion appliances also use the Snort detection engine that
  we make available as an open source tool through http://www.snort.org
- Sourcefire appliances and the related software other than Snort are
not freely available and are sold as a commercial product.

Sourcefire also maintains the Official Rules for Snort through our VRT
and makes the most recent rules available to Sourcefire Customers and
Snort.org subscribers immediately and 5 days later for free to the
registered Snort.org community.

Hope this clears it up.

Regards,
Jason.