[Snort-users] Appliances using free software

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Thu Aug 11 13:53:11 EDT 2005

--On Thursday, August 11, 2005 16:10:04 -0400 Jeff Dell
<jdell at ...1095...> wrote:

> I thought we were done with the marketing on this list...
>
>> Unlike Sourcefire, we allow you to use the free, open source
>> version of Snort instead of requiring our appliance purchase.
>
> Before you say what a competitor can or can't do in a public forum you
> should really check to see if it is true.
>
> From: http://www.sourcefire.com/products/is_agent.html
>
> The Sourcefire Intrusion Agent allows open source Snort users to do more
> than just detect intrusions; it enables a single Sourcefire Defense Center
> to aggregate event information from one or more Snort sensors alongside
> data from Sourcefire Intrusion Sensors and Sourcefire RNA sensors.

Well, yeah, but *his* question was, "It is possible to manage snort agents
IDS/IPS using a ISS console?"

The "ISS console" he refers to is Site Protector, and I doubt seriously
that you can manage snort sensors with it.

However, you *might* be able to integrate the *data* from snort sensors
into the Site Protector interface.  I don't know that for certain, so you'd
have to check the docs.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas