[Snort-users] BandWidth question

Chris Lyon cslyon at ...11827...
Tue Aug 9 17:02:19 EDT 2005

On 8/9/05, Sabbiolina <sabbiolina at ...11827...> wrote:
> Hello there,
> I need to analyze all e-mail traffic looking for specific
> words/sentences and dump to disk all messages matching those criteria.
> On an average P4 3.2 mhz what is the ipotetic bandwidth limit (in
> megabits)?

May I suggest MailScanner,Spamassassin or something that handles mail
directly. As everybody will point out, and has already pointed out,
you are waisting your time w/ NIDS to accomplish this task.

Both MailScanner and Spamassassin will search on key words or anything
pcre based. Much how snort signatures work from a PCRE standpoint,
BTW. To go beyond this we can take the discussion off the list as it
would be OT!