[Snort-users] Doubt

James Riden j.riden at ...11179...
Fri Aug 5 14:39:42 EDT 2005

"Ks, Mithun (GE Commercial Finance, non-GE)" <Mithun.Ks at ...9384...> writes:

> Hi ,
>
> Please help me in this doubt.
>
> When we started running snort after 24 hours system will hang and we need to reboot manually to be UP.
>
> But when we try stopping snort service and restart machine it is working fine for long days.
> The problem occurs only when the snort service starts .
> Could any one tell me where to check for this problem and how to resolve this issue.

Which version of Linux? What's at the end of /var/log/messages ? Was
it a kernel panic? Is there anything visible on the console?

Remember, snort will be working the box fairly hard, so may show up
bugs or hardware problems that won't be noticed if the box is not
under heavy load.

Is it running on real server hardware, or on consumer grade gear?

(FWIW, I'm running snort on 4 different boxes, all Fedora Core 3, but
have been FC1 in the past with absolutely no issues.)

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden at ...11179... / Systems Security Engineer