[Snort-users] Problem with socket

John Creegan jcreegan at ...9729...
Fri Apr 29 13:05:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 23:08 +0400, slice wrote:
> Sorry, i forgot to tell that when i have this string in /etc/my.cnf
>
> socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>
> i can`t login to MySQL. He told me that can`t open /tmp/mysql.sock

> I started MySQL-server with standard options (may be)
 #./usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --with-user=mysql

Slice...
Notice the "." just after the prompt?  This dot means "start down this directory path specification from the directory you are currently in."

That means you're not running (or attempting to run)  "/usr/local/mysql/bin" anything, bur rather attempting to run "whatever_dir_i_am_in/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_safe --with-user=mysql".  Unless you are in the "/" dir the mysqld executable would not be found.

Hope that helps!

information intended for a specific individual and purpose,
and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure,copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking
of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.