[Snort-users] Strange PATH MTU Traffic

larosa_vjay at ...3331... larosa_vjay at ...3331...
Tue Apr 26 18:23:48 EDT 2005

I believe this has to do with Microsoft Roaming profiles. I will try to dig
up the URL. I have actually seen Jpeg's transmitted in ICMP from M$ hosts.

vjl

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Joshua Berry
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 11:57 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Strange PATH MTU Traffic

I am getting this alert: ICMP PATH MTU denial of service

I have never had this alert previous to this weekend, and have received
40,000 within the last 8 hours.  Some of this traffic appears to be
encrypted, the rest of it is hitting our domain controllers and contains
schema information.

I know Microsoft does some screwy stuff but I have never seen schema
information transmitted in an ICMP packet, much less a path mtu discovery
packet.

Anyone else seen this type of traffic?

Josh Berry | CISSP GCIA
Information Security