[Snort-users] help in scripts

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Mon Apr 18 10:31:25 EDT 2005

--On Monday, April 18, 2005 04:52:45 PM +0530 "Ks, Mithun (Corporate)"
<Mithun.Ks at ...11834...> wrote:

> could anyone guide me about this issue. In the directory cd
> /var/log/messages  the messages will be increasing day by day. so once in
> a week we have to delete this messages file for space. so we  are
> planning to write a script for automatic deletion in a week by setting in
> cron (timings). the doubt is where we have to write scripts. where should
> we place this script( rc.d or init.d). In which language it should be.( C
> or perl).

So you want to reinvent the wheel.....

>From you're description, you're running some version of Linux.  Read man
(8) logrotate.conf.  Your scripts are already written for you.  You just
need to learn how to use them.

If you don't have a logrotate.conf, then read man newsyslog.conf, the more
traditional unix way of rotating logs.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas