[Snort-users] Problem getting a snort rule to work

Briggs, Bruce Bruce.Briggs at ...13183...
Thu Apr 14 06:37:41 EDT 2005

You are missing the source port in your alerts.

Try:

Alert tcp $SMTP_NET any*à any 25 (msg:"outgoing SMTP";)

Bruce

  _____

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at ...3204...ts.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Pennell, Ronald B.
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:59 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Problem getting a snort rule to work

I'm extremely new to snort and have been trying to get a simple snort rule to work.

I'm task with grabbing an alert for every email message that is going outbound from my organization.

I've tried using the following local rule:

Alert tcp $SMTP_NET --> any 25

Alert udp    "                    "     "

Alert tcp $HOME_Net      "   "

When I check the acid viewer, I see no traffic at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Pennell

rpennell at ...13261...