[Snort-users] http normalization

Briggs, Bruce Bruce.Briggs at ...13183...
Sat Apr 9 14:58:53 EDT 2005

.. means go back 1 directory level

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at ...3204...ts.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of mosquitooth at ...158...
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 4:00 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] http normalization

Hi,

I've been going through the README.http_inspect file of the current snort src distribution:

"For example, the URI:
/scripts/..%c0%af../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+ver
will get normalized into:
/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+ver
Another example,
/cgi-bin/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/..%252fp%68f?
into:
/cgi-bin/phf?"

When I read this, two questions appeared somehow:

1. In the first example: Is this URI really normalized that way, wouldn't that be the following: scripts/..À¯../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+ver?

2. Seconde example: What happens to all this 'a' characters? Why are these deleted?

Thanks for any help

Peter

--
Handyrechnung zu hoch? Tipp: SMS und MMS mit GMX Seien Sie so frei: Alle Infos unter http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freesms