[Snort-users] Can Snort monitor multiple VLANs?

Escudero, Peter Louis peterlouis.escudero at ...7950...
Tue Apr 5 08:55:36 EDT 2005

Our IDS box is a Dell PE750 running SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro & snort v2.1.x, with
a quad 10/100 NIC card. Three of the ports are hooked up to 3 different
Cisco switches, representing 3 different VLANs. We're able to capture alerts
from one switch, but not from the others. Is snort able to monitor different
VLANs? Or do we need a separate IDS box for each VLAN? Any info you can
provide will be greatly appreciated.

Peter Escudero