[Snort-users] ERROR Unable to open rules file: etc\snort_conf or etc\etc\snort_conf

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Sep 29 10:08:03 EDT 2004

At 11:27 AM 9/29/2004, RD R wrote:
>My snort XP box was working great and now this error?  I have acid and
>mysql installed.  How can I resolve this?  What is the cause?  I even
>reinstalled snort!
>
>C:\Snort>snort -c etc\snort_conf -i 1

Does the file C:\snort\etc\snort_conf exist?

Are you sure? (make sure windows isn't hiding an extension from you. Use
dos dir or make sure explorer's "hide extensions of known filetypes"
mis-feature is disabled)

Does it work if you specify a full path:

snort -c C:\snort\etc\snort_conf -i 1