[Snort-users] Snort startup problem

Dirk Geschke dirk at ...10648...
Tue Sep 28 13:11:38 EDT 2004

Hi Jeff,

> When I attempt to start up snort, I get the following runtime error:
>
> ---------8<---------
>
> [root at ...12491... init.d]# ./snortd start
> Starting snort: /usr/sbin/snort: relocation error:
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not
> defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>
> [FAILED]

> Any ideas on how to correct this?

you should compile mysql by yourself instead of using a binary version?

The error is that the libmysqlclient was linked against another version
of the glibc. Welcome in the club of frustrated glibc users...

In earlier version the errno symbol was part of th glibc but in later
versions this symbol is replaced by a header definition so it becomes
thread safe.

Best regards

Dirk