[Snort-users] confuse with alerts file

Esler, Joel - Contractor joel.esler at ...9426...
Tue Sep 28 12:24:45 EDT 2004

In the default setup, if you log to binary it /will not/ generate the
ascii mode, however, maku says that the log files being produced are
snort.log.###..  This is indicative of binary logging mode.

From: Bamm Visscher [mailto:bamm.visscher at ...11827...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 3:07 PM
To: Esler, Joel - Contractor
Cc: maku bex; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] confuse with alerts file

Comments inline.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:06:54 -0400, Esler, Joel - Contractor
<joel.esler at ...9426...> wrote:
> Because you are using the -b option (binary logging) it is logging
> into pcap format.  Remove the -b to generate an alert file.  However,
> -b is much more useful if you are familiar with Tcpdump or ethereal.
>
> Joel

No, that is not correct. The -b (binary logging) option has nothing to
do with an alert file being generated.  I am not sure why the output
facilities are so misunderstood, but here again is an explanation.

Snort has two output facilities: alert and log. The default plugin for
the alert facility is ALERT_FULL and the default log facility is
LOG_ASCII. ALERT_FULL is your std alert output to the /var/log/alert
file, while LOG_ASCII writes packet data in ascii format to directories
and files based on ip address/protos/ports/etc.  The -b option changes
the default behavior of the log facility only (to LOG_PCAP).

Sounds like you may have your database output plugin set to use the
alert facility (output database: alert VERSUS output database: log). I'd
double check that.

Bammkkkk

--
sguil - The Analyst Console for NSM