[Snort-users] Can't put log message to the special directory

Peixiao Guo gpx at ...12486...
Mon Sep 27 19:10:44 EDT 2004

I made a first test using snort. But I can't get log message the special
directory.

Here is my snort.conf:

output alert_fast: /home/snort/fst.log

log tcp any any -> any 80 (flags:S;)

I just want to put the "alert_fast" message to the file
/home/snort/fst.log, but I will get an error if I run this command:

snort -c snort.conf -d

the err messages as below:

Running in IDS mode

Log directory = /var/log/snort

ERROR:

[!] ERROR: Can not get write access to logging directory
"/var/log/snort".

(directory doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly

or it is not a directory at all)

Fatal Error, Quitting..

When I run this command:

snort -c snort.conf -dl /home/snort/

then all output message will be recorded in IP hierarchy in /home/snort
directory.

I m wandering how to log the output message to a /home/snort/fst.log
file

Can any senior one give me a directive?

Thanks very very much!

Pat Guo