[Snort-users] Looking for good hub

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Sep 27 10:32:53 EDT 2004

At 12:36 PM 9/27/2004, Bill Warren wrote:
>Can anybody suggest a good hub to sniff with?   I have found out the some
>of the "hubs" are just cheap switchs with very small arp cache.  I need a
>least 4 ports.  I had been using the one from HP but, they stopped making
>them.  BTW the linksys hubs are switchs.

*ALL* 10/100 dual-speed hubs must have some switching behavior, no matter
who makes it.

It's physically impossible to be dual speed and not switch. If you think
about passively repeating all traffic from a 100mbit segment into a 10-mbit
segment.. You'll be speed limited by the 10mbit segment, thus you'll be
relegated to being a 10mbit hub not a dual speed.

Some dual-speed hubs behave like a 10mbit hub and a 100mbit hub connected
by a two-port switch. Thus, if all ports are the same rate, it's a hub.
However, these are not common anymore. It's much more common nowdays for
"dual speed hubs" to be switches that don't support full-duplex and have small

If you want a pure passive hub, you're going to have to get a single-speed
one, and these are becoming more and more rare. I keep an eye on
liquidators like www.compgeeks.com. A while back they had a batch of old
3com 100mbit pure-passive single-speed hubs in and I got one for about $15.
I also got a 10mbit hub at the same time.

Although more costly, it's getting to the point where it's much easier to
find a low-end 10/100 managed switch that has SPAN capabilities, such as
the Cisco catalyst 2950 12pt (about $500 ) .