[Snort-users] Re: what's supposed to be the difference?

Nigel Houghton nigel at ...1935...
Thu Sep 16 11:26:06 EDT 2004

On  0, snort-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net allegedly wrote:
>    1. what's supposed to be the difference? (Jason Monroe "JC")
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> From: "Jason Monroe \"JC\"" <monroe at ...5738...>
> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:41:32 -0700
> Subject: [Snort-users] what's supposed to be the difference?
>
> Hello All,
>
> I don't seem to understand but what's supposed to be the difference
> between http://www.snort.org/snort-db/?sid=1-270 and
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?sid=1-270
>
> I tried for at least 5 minutes to get something useful out of the search
> dialog at the top of http://www.snort.org/snort-db/ entering actual SID
> numbers, common keywords that are in rules yet the page never returns
> anything different visually than when you hit it for the first time. Is
> there some magic incantation necessary similar to which Marty
> demonstrated with the sourcefire sensor demo.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JC

Apologies Jason, it is a small HTML error in the page. The form at the top
that you were using has this:

 <form> <input type=text name=sid size=15><input type=submit
 value="search"></form>

As you can see, there is no action specified for the form. It should be
something like this:

 <form action="/cgi-bin/sigs-search.cgi"><input type=text name=sid size=15>
 <input type=submit value="search"></form>

Which is used in the form on the lower left column of the page.

I'm passing it on to the mercurial webmaster, Mr Caswell.

       Nigel Houghton       Research Engineer        Sourcefire Inc.
                       Vulnerability Research Team

  "Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!" - Wendy
  "Intelligent and friendly on rye bread, with some mayonaise." - Cartman