[Snort-users] Undefined variable name error running Snort 2.2.0

Sean Brown sblinux at ...9344...
Tue Sep 14 14:08:11 EDT 2004

On September 6, 2004 8:35 am, b7time b7time wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my snort.conf the the path to my rules is set to:
>
> var RULE_PATH /etc/snort/rules
>
> However when I run:
>
> snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
>
> I get the following message:
>
> ERROR: Undefined variable name: (/etc/snort/rules/exploit.rules:20):
> SMTP_SERVERS
> Fatal Error, Quitting..
Your loading a rule that references the variable SNMP_SERVERS but you haven't
set that variable. Either set SNMP_SERVERS in your snort.conf or take a look
at the rule to determine if you really need to be watching it.