[Snort-users] I am using Petrick harper's guide still have problems !!

Paul Martin pmartin at ...11611...
Mon Sep 13 11:38:11 EDT 2004

Juan Fernandez wrote:

>I tried the command an hour ago:
>
>This is what I recive:
>
>[root at ...12378... snortinstall]# yum install openssl
>Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
>Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
>Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
>Finding updated packages
>Downloading needed headers
>openssl is installed and is the latest version.
>No actions to take
>
>I cant belive this is happening to me....

I find it all too easy that this is happening to you.  You've not
followed the advice of others, which is basically to read the HOWTOs
that others (Patrick, I'm looking at you here) have written to assist us
in getting this software installed.  Many here have tried to tell you
that you need to understand the operating system that you're working in
before installing programs on your own, without the help of others.

>I found that it says the same about allmount all the dependencis in looking
>for.
>
>I cant belive I will need to reinstall a sensor just because of dependencis
>problems. Now I understand why nobody uses Linux.

a) This isn't a dependency issue, this is an issue of you not being
familiar with linux - you've admitted as much yourself in an earlier
email.  And to be honest, if this system isn't being used for anything
BUT a sensor, then wiping it out and starting from scratch and following
Patrick's install guide would be the best thing for you.  You'd be DONE
by now, and your boss would be off your back.
b) And you're attacking linux due to your own ignorance?  Weak.

>Maybe to insert the distribution cd's and install every package ?
>
>I must get it working !!!

What happens when you type "find / -name libssl.so.0*" ?  When I do this, I find that I have the file in /lib.  If you have it somewhere different, then try to either copy it into the /lib directory, or symlink it, like: "ln -s /lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 /wherever/you/found/it".  You shouldn't have to do this, though.

Seriously though, do yourself a HUGE favor, and start from scratch.  It'll work just fine, and you'll have a MUCH easier time maintaining the box later on down the line.