[Snort-users] I am using Petrick harper's guide still have problems !!

Lance Boon lboon at ...11799...
Mon Sep 13 10:38:05 EDT 2004

May I offer a suggestion?
1. Take the box and start over from scratch.
2. Print out Patrick Harpers install guide, then read it.
3. Take a highlighter and start from the very beginning, when you do
something highlight it and go to the next step.
His guide is designed/setup to help anyone get snort up and running and
if you follow it step by step you won't have a problem. If you have
problems then I would say you've missed a step someplace along the line.

Side note, is it just you that's going to be monitoring snort? From what
it sounds like to me if "he doesn't give a shit" is that he just wants
an ids system in place to say that "yes we are running an intrusion
detection system" to the higher ups. Once you get this up and running
you are going to be dealing with the day to day issues of running it and
that's a whole different ballgame.

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Juan
Fernandez
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 11:12 AM
To: 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: [Snort-users] I am using Petrick harper's guide still have
problems !!

Hi, I spoke with him he doesn't give a shit.

Please help,

I downloaded and installed openssl-0.9.7a-20.2.1.src.rpm
because when I try to install snort-mysql-2.1.3-1.i386.rpm it asked for
libmysqlclient.so.10 an so in tried to install
ibmysqlclient12-4.0.20-67426cl.i386.rpm but this requested:

[root at ...12378... snortinstall]# rpm -ivh
libmysqlclient12-4.0.20-67426cl.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcrypto.so.0.9.7 is needed by libmysqlclient12-4.0.20-67426cl
        libssl.so.0.9.7 is needed by libmysqlclient12-4.0.20-67426cl

installing open ssl didn't helped....

I also tried find libcrypto and libssl on the net but there isnt any for
fedora.

They don't exist in the distribution cd neither.

Thanks !!!