[Snort-users] Finding alerts taking up the most database space

M Shirk shirkdog_linux at ...125...
Mon Sep 13 09:45:15 EDT 2004

When using an IDS in general, if you have 6G of data for a very short
time-frame, you may need to either tune your sensor by filtering, or by
archiving that data.

If this is for a business/project, you need to have a definition of the
time-frame to keep live data available for analysis. One of the clients I
worked with created 2 GB of data every 3 months. I knew what the problem
was, but they did not let us filter :-). They wanted this info for trending
(don't ask).

I think others on the list would chime in that this is not a snort problem
because snort is working.

Do you have snort and the mysql DB and your webserver all on the same
server? I have run this configuration just for testing and it kills my
rather old system with 160MB of RAM.

Shirkdog.
http://www.shirkdog.us