[Snort-users] I am using Petrick harper's guide still have pr oblems !!

Juan Fernandez Juan.Fernandez at ...2210...
Mon Sep 13 08:18:15 EDT 2004

I agree with you.

But my boss dosen't care,

I must bring up those machines somehow !!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS [mailto:Alex.Butcher at ...11254...]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 5:59 PM
To: Juan Fernandez; 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] I am using Petrick harper's guide still have
problems !!

Hi Juan -

--On 13 September 2004 15:54 +0300 Juan Fernandez
<Juan.Fernandez at ...2210...> wrote:

> I us fedora core 1 (now I am trying to install the sensor from the guide
> of Patrick harper) .
>
> When I try to install snort-mysql-2.1.3-0.fdr.1.i386.rpm I receive the
> next:

[snip tale of woe]

All the problems you're experiencing are essentially down to your
self-acknowledged lack of experience with Linux distributions and
commonly-used packages within. None of your problems are snort-specific, so
I respectfully suggest that you get some books and/or training on the
distro you're using, then revisit setting up a snort-based NIDS. You need
to learn to walk before you can run.

As far as recommended books: <http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/>,
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnredhatentlnx>,
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut4/>,
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/esa3/>,
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/msql2/>.

Alternatively, if you just want a working NIDS, you might be better-off
getting your employer to shell out some cash for one of the ready-built
snort-based NIDS appliances, such as Sourcefire.

Best Regards and Good Luck!
Alex.