[Snort-users] Re: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #4535 - 5 msgs

Luis Hernán Otegui luis.otegui at ...11827...
Fri Sep 10 15:00:33 EDT 2004

Hi, all, this is my first mail to this list. First of all, I must
confess I'm totally a newbie when it comes to snort.
I arrived to this piece of software because I've found out googleing
that you could use snort along with some small PERL applications and
IPTables to filter out filesharing programs, such as Gnutella,
Bittorrent, etc.
I was wondering where could I find more documentantion about this
subject, and also if there are some examples around. In particular,
the one that brought me to this list is this:
http://www.roads.lut.ac.uk/txt/proactive-iptables.html
Also, a tiny simple question: which is teh best way to set up snort at
my scenario? I have a PC Router based on Debian, with three NICs, the
first for my internet gateway, and two B-class networks on the other
two NICs. I want to let the traffic to some servers in those two
networks pass by the firewall, but block all incoming traffic for the
rest of the hosts of those networks, in particular P2P traffic.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Luis