[Snort-users] why arent helping me ? PLEASE HELP !!!!! How to start mysql clien t on the sensor?please help !!!!!!!!!

Esler, Joel - Contractor joel.esler at ...9426...
Thu Sep 9 12:28:14 EDT 2004

How not to get help, ladies and gentlemen, take note, and don't follow
this example.

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Juan
Fernandez
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 1:13 PM
To: 'Harper, Patrick'; Juan Fernandez
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] why arent helping me ? PLEASE HELP !!!!! How to
start mysql clien t on the sensor?please help !!!!!!!!!

Hi !!!

I steal am receiving:

 configure --without-server --prefix=/usr/local/mysql

NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't

need to configure it!

To help you a bit, I am now going to create the needed MySQL databases

and start the MySQL server for you.  If you run into any trouble, please

consult the MySQL manual, that you can find in the Docs directory.

Installing all prepared tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server

to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !

This is done with:

./bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h sensor-Jr-lan password 'new-password'

See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run

the ./bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be

able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:

cd . ; ./bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:

cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at

http://www.mysql.com

Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

Starting the mysqld server.  You can test that it is up and running

with the command:

./bin/mysqladmin version

[root at ...12397... mysql-standard-4.1.1-alpha-pc-linux-i686]# Starting
mysqld daemon with databases from
/snortinstall/mysql-standard-4.1.1-alpha-pc-linux-i686/data

040908 22:17:58  mysqld ended

I did exactliiy as in the menual in snort site sayd regarding:

Set MySQL to start automatically.
Copy the file "mysql.server" from the support-files subfolder (it is
under the source for mysql. If you downloaded everything to
/root/snortinstall, then the path will be
/root/snortinstall/mysql-4.0.15a/support- files) to the /etc/init.d
folder and call it mysql (the command to copy it from the support- files
directory is "cp mysql.server
/etc/init.d/mysql")
Use the following commands to create symbolic links in the startup
folders for run levels 3 and 5. MySQL will now start automatically when
you boot up. cd /etc/rc3.d ln -s ../init.d/mysql S85mysql ln -s
../init.d/mysql K85mysql cd /etc/rc5.d ln -s ../init.d/mysql S85mysql ln
-s ../init.d/mysql K85mysql cd ../init.d chmod 755 mysql

I restarted but mysql didn't started on this sensor...!!!

Acid and my sql server is installed on another management server.do I
need to install it on the this sensor (my sql client I mean..)