[Snort-users] Fork of ACID

Thu Sep 9 02:32:47 EDT 2004

Hi -

--On 08 September 2004 21:43 -0400 Kevin Johnson <kjohnson at ...12400...>
wrote:

> I have just started working on a fork of the ACID project.

A few friendly comments:

1) It looks as though you've started from ACID-0.9.6b23. If you're
attempting to revitalise development on ACID, wouldn't it have been better
to start with a CVS snapshot from ACID, which incorporates a post-0.9.6b23
bugfixes and improvements? <http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidlab/>

2) As well as Snortcenter, you should note that other packages incorporate
ACID and patch it (e.g. OS-SIM - <http://www.ossim.net>). By forking ACID
(and renaming it BASE), you make it hard for people to use BASE instead of
ACID as many of them won't have the capability to modify and merge patches
themselves. Also, I've written a number of patches for ACID which I was
planning on submitting back once I was happy they work as expected. I've
probably not got the time to target both ACID and BASE. Until BASE has
significant functionality over-and-above ACID, I'll probably target ACID
only.

2) Did you attempt check with Roman before forking? The last I heard was
that despite the hiatus in ACID releases, he was planning to come back with
a new version of ACID.

> Again thanks for your time,
> Kevin Johnson
> BASE project admin