[Snort-users] Snort 2.2.0, MS-SQL Server 2000, ODBC

Paul Martin pmartin at ...11611...
Wed Sep 8 10:56:08 EDT 2004

I've installed Snort/Apache/RH/MySQL according to Patrick Harper's HOWTO
on the Snort page, and everything's been working just fine.
Unfortunately, now the PTBs want to migrate our databases to MSSQL as
opposed to MySQL.  I understand that Snort does not support MSSQL
natively under linux, and as such, I need to use the ODBC option.  I've
recompiled Snort with ODBC support, with no problem.  I compiled and
installed the ODBC interface from www.unixodbc.org, which make'd and
installed just fine.  However, now I need to configure it so that the
ODBC will communicate with the MSSQL server.

The instructions say that it is very similar to the Data Sources: ODBC
under windows.  The only problem is that I am running this Snort server
sans WM.  No GUI.  So I have to configure this beast command-line.  Or
do I?  All I know is that whenever I run "snort -c
/etc/snort/snort.conf", I get:

ERROR: database: ODBC unable to connect.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Any advice?  This is driving me nuts.

--
Paul Martin