[Snort-users] NFS file copy vs. snort ???

Michael D Schleif mds at ...9577...
Mon Sep 6 17:07:01 EDT 2004

* Jason <security at ...5028...> [2004:09:06:18:06:46-0400] scribed:
<snip />

> Michael D Schleif wrote:
> >* Jason <security at ...5028...> [2004:09:06:10:21:39-0400] scribed:
> >
> >>You open the discussion with how can I prevent Snort from interfering
> >>with an NFS copy, the simple response to that is that Snort is passive
> >>and cannot directly interfere with your copy.
> ><snip />
> >
> >And, yet, empirically, it does just that.
> >
> >I know that you think that I am an ignorant slob, and too lazy to do my
> >own homework.  Perhaps, you are right.  I do not see it that way -- am I
> >exceedingly dense, too?
>
> I admit that I am simply annoyed with you and perplexed by why I have
> bothered to spend this much time with you. Perhaps I have been spending
> too much time around liberals. What ever the case may be, the spell
> checker describes it best when it suggests a replacement for Schleif.
<snip />

Clearly, you are annoyed at yourself for wasting so much of your divine
talent to no positive end.  That you take it out on others is the true
mark of your character ;>

For that matter, why did you bother, since you so clearly failed by your
own measure?

> NOTE: The search is "ignore traffic with snort"
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=ignore+traffic+with+snort
>
> I also suggest executing man bpf
<snip />

Can you even comprehend how much time and effort -- not to mention
enmity -- would have been saved had you had the intellect to offer this
advice in your first post?

> If you had read the links provided you would have found these
>
> http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node5.html - Look for BPF
>
> http://www.snort.org/docs/FAQ.txt - Look for Ignore
<snip />

Yes, indeed, they are there -- among some several thousand other words
and phrases.  The trick is in finding a document's author's sense of
humor in organizing and indexing said tomes.  If the documentation for
BPF was clearer, apparently I would not have started this thread ;<

I hope, should you ever require brain or heart surgery, that you find
physicians and surgeons more communicative than you are ;>

> Kudos, now go read them. If I am not mistaken there is an index that
> might prove useful.
>
> >I hope that this new missive better explains my need.  I believe that my
> >four (4) questions are explicit, and answers to them are short and
> >concise.  Hopefully, I will not tax your valuable time much longer.
>
> Well... you asked a few specific questions and hopefully have the
> specific answer you need.
>
> At just this moment a bumper sticker I often chuckle at comes to mind.
>
> Give a man fire and he will be warm for the night. Set the man on fire
> and he will be warm the rest of his life.
<snip />

Have you encountered the concept of karma?

> >Thank you, very much for your delightful insights.  I look forward to
> >finding solution to my specific problem, and to extending my gratitude
> >to you for educating me.
>
> My efforts at helping you teach yourself have clearly failed. This is
> unfortunate for both of us.
<snip />

Yes, how unfortunate for you!  Your failure to communicate is all on
you.  Too bad for you.

For me, I have the answer that I sought -- which is good for me -- and I
can go forward in life without crass anger gnawing at me.

Thank you, for your wit and vague repartee!  I hope that this lesson has
taught you something about quality communication . . .

HAND

--
Best Regards,

mds